Skip to main content

Welcome to the action figure, comic book movie, nostalgia laden house

I'm in my early thirties. I read that qualifies as being an adult. I'm not totally convinced in my case but science is science. As I've gotten older I've consistently felt as if my age has not correlated with my maturity. I don't mean that as people probably expect. Full and fair disclosure: I still find it funny when someone farts in public and giggle when my change includes 69 cents. I text words that double as dirty to my best friend like manhole or pea pod. And I still pretend Santa comes even though I know he's real. But I digress. The longer time passes the more I realize I don't know. All that crap I learned in high school about mitosis or prime numbers has all but evaporated. But I did learn other important stuff. Like who I can count on. Especially when things are tough. Or that sometimes it's more important to be civil than to be right. As I meander though this big old world I know that when I see someone who is like fifty that's an adult. When I see someone my age I see someone who is a larger grayer high school kid. We're fake adults. Even the ones of us who have kids. The grown ups have it together. The fake ones see Star Wars at midnight on Thursday even though we have work in the morning. It's a lot more fun being a fake adult. Having the bills and the stress and the craziness but also mixing in the fun of youth that we don't seem to want to let go of. And why should we? Arrested development? Screw that! Try self preservation. Are we a little soft? Maybe. Do we care a little too much about stuff and not enough about others? Probably. Is it annoying to ask and then answer your own questions especially in blog form? Absolutely. But I do this for our own good. In the background as I write this my background noise is an episode of ALF. why? Because I loved it when I was 8. So goddamit I will watch it now. It's comforting. It's not holding me back it's giving me a sense of calm. He's from Melmac. He eats cats. He's got a nose shaped like a "banana". And he's a reminder or when I was innocent and New and ready to charge the world. Now all I charge is an iPhone or my capital one card when I'm getting gas. These real adults I see all over seem so on edge. But still they seem so confident. Like the chaos drives them. That is something I wish I could relate to. Instead I feel overwhelmed by something like my headlights going out. I still call my dad when that happens even though his car knowledge is at best minimal. It'll end up that I take the car to his house park out front and he and I work through it together. He speculates and tries while I plot and plan. But in the end we work it through together. So much is written about millennials.  How we're lazy and don't want to work hard. How we make excuses. I think we get a bad rap, yo. I'll go into the finer points next time but I think there is something to be said for generation x,y the boomers and the 80's kids to all get along. Because one day dinosaurs will comeback and when they do we'll need each other. And if you rewatch Jurassic Park you'll know how to be ready. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do or do not there is no try

When I was a kid I thought I was going to be a doctor. Then I watched the movie Look Who's Talking  saw the scene where Kirstie Alley has her baby and that ended that. I was about six and my mind was very easily changed. From that point on I started to make a lot of choices that I questioned. In kindergarten we had a bear that each of us would take for a week and care for. When the week was over we would give him (the bear was male, I peeked between his legs) something to remember us by like a hand colored picture or a leaf from the yard. The school year went by and I never got my chance to take care of the bear. When June approached and I being fully aware that there wasn't a whole week left asked my teacher, a wonderful man who I think of to this day, why I didn't get a chance his answer was simple: because you get to take him for the entire summer Armand. Now, most kids would see this as a huge opportunity and something to be excited about. I get to watch this bear all

Everybody hurts. Or Don't Hideout in Your Hobbit Hole

The other day I had lunch with a friend of mine. She was talking about how she feels like she's treading water and swimming in circles all at the same time. Her life doesn't feel like it has purpose and she wants to run away from where she is. I listened to her as she told me her issues and concerns and if I'm being honest I feel a lot of the same things she does. I feel like giving up hope just as she told me she does. I have felt like my life was a rich full fucking waster and that what I do is meaningless. But I also realized that most people seem to feel that way. Everybody hurts and that kind of sucks. I prefer to think that it's a select few but the more I talk to others the more I realize that life just kind of sucks all the time and there are random dashes of pleasure sprinkled in between. As wonderful as that all sounds there is a glimmer of hope. Hope that we shouldn't let go of. Hope that we need to cling to but not in the white knuckled kind of way like

Find Your Happy Place. Or, Taking Time For You.

"The Best In The World At What I Do." -CM Punk When 2015 became 2016 I made a resolution just like so many others. It wasn't to lose weight or try to stop smoking. I promised myself that I would try something new every month. Not become a yes man with a yes year but rather take one risk or try something that I had always wanted to do. I started out small. Going for a walk in the evenings for January ( yes I know that's stupid to do in winter). Cooking at home in February. Bought a new guitar in march and said I would practice every night like when I was in college and high school. Honestly most of these things have stuck and it feels good to have a new outlook and new stuff to do in my life. The one that really made me feel different was June. That's when I began to paint.  I put this piece together and I haven't been able to stop since. Painting is something I had wanted to try for the longest time (oh oh oh oh for the longest time) but had never