Skip to main content

Put Down The Phone. Or, Disconnect yourself.

One of my favorite things to do is go to live performances. Concerts, stand up, plays, musicals all are welcome ways to spend an evening. When I go to a show it's always kind of amazing the number of people who are fixated on their phones. Recently when I saw Chris Rock we were asked to put our phones into special locked bags as a way of stopping people from taping the show or being disruptive. Of course the entire time we entered the arena the audience complained about  the inconvenience of not having their phones. I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't annoyed too. Once the show began and I stopped checking the time on my obscured phone I was able to enjoy myself without documenting and posting every second of it. Actually paying attention to the show and not being preoccupied with cataloging it was refreshing. It made me think about the countless times I've watched a concert and sat with my phone in front of my face recording a song instead of letting myself enjoy the moment and remember the time. That's a much better way of going about things. 
Detaching myself from my technology worked to help me stay engaged in the moment. That's something I think people take for granted. When given the chance to really lose yourself in something, take it. Focus of that kind allows you to truly experience something, internalize it and stop the extra movement of your brain for a while. Performances in particular give you the chance to get lost in someone else's world for a while and stopped worrying or concerning yourself with your own. Often I find myself mired in the trenches of the chaos that is my day to day existence. Instead of being a driver on the road of life I'm a passenger in a bullet train to hell pushing myself deeper and deeper into self inflicted madness.  A huge help was dumping my phone for a while. There's a weird anxiety born from the idea of waiting for Facebook updates and random texts from people in your circle. Having my phone off my hip and out of my mind felt great and gave me an almost new clarity.  When I got home, I noticed that I never took my phone out of airplane mode. Once I turned off plans mode I realized something else: the world didn't end. So it got me thinking. Do I really need to be on my phone nearly as much as I am? I'm a marginal user of social media but even that short amount of time adds up. My true vice on my phone is YouTube and accordingly it's going to be my biggest adjustment. My challenge to myself is to be as engaged in the real world as possible tomorrow and to use my phone as little as possible. My progress will be documented mentally and findings relegated to memory. There will be little if any posting to social media save for updates to the blog and I'll try to keep my attention fixed on more important socially engaging tasks and activities like talking to people in person or spending time outdoors. That connection makes me feel more alive and also gives me the opportunity to not read into conversation and what is said therein. I don't feel as alienated and that makes me feel good too. I struggle with a feeling of being disconnected to people. That disconnection  leads to added anxiety that is compounded by the constant search for online stimulation. Essentially I lose control of my real self and try to live in a new space all online and on my phone. The positives of disconnecting have demonstrated themselves in a few ways. First, I don't get sucked into the social media vortex. That's a dangerous place for me to get lost. When I see everyone I know having either 1- a much better time than I do or 2- having a significantly tougher time than I am I feel like shit. These incidental moments carry some heavy weight. I become fixated on the fact that I'm sitting in an office at a computer screen talking to strangers about their money and hearing story after story that bring me down when I compare (stop that!!!) myself to them. Seeing someone in my life on a water slide on a weekday doesn't help that. I want to be on a water slide. Hell, I'll take a regular slide. It's better than sitting in traffic and on a phone! But that's just a moment. The next there could have been alligators in the pool and they could have been gobbled up. If they posted that picture I would probably feel differently. But not much. Because I'm tough to please. Point is I'm fixated on others good time when I go online. My blog doesn't have enough readers and my art isn't reaching enough people. That pisses me off and I don't do anything about it just get pissed off. I'm not constructive with my time which also pisses me off. Basically I annoy myself to no foreseeable end. And I should cut that out. Not being tethered to my phone has helped me focus on what I'm doing and experiencing as opposed to what others have done, are doing and have gotten. At the end of the day I'm what matters most to me because I depend on me. Let the moments pass by on social media and leave them to that: moments. Don't spend the majority of my day looking at others. Don't watch a show happening in front of me through the screen of my stupid phone while I record life. Live it. Be in the here and now. Experiment with taking the cord out of your asses and try to take it all in as it happens. 


But right now, I really need to figure out how to get this goddam bag off my phone. My notification sound went off and I'm sure I'm missing something amazing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do or do not there is no try

When I was a kid I thought I was going to be a doctor. Then I watched the movie Look Who's Talking  saw the scene where Kirstie Alley has her baby and that ended that. I was about six and my mind was very easily changed. From that point on I started to make a lot of choices that I questioned. In kindergarten we had a bear that each of us would take for a week and care for. When the week was over we would give him (the bear was male, I peeked between his legs) something to remember us by like a hand colored picture or a leaf from the yard. The school year went by and I never got my chance to take care of the bear. When June approached and I being fully aware that there wasn't a whole week left asked my teacher, a wonderful man who I think of to this day, why I didn't get a chance his answer was simple: because you get to take him for the entire summer Armand. Now, most kids would see this as a huge opportunity and something to be excited about. I get to watch this bear all

Everybody hurts. Or Don't Hideout in Your Hobbit Hole

The other day I had lunch with a friend of mine. She was talking about how she feels like she's treading water and swimming in circles all at the same time. Her life doesn't feel like it has purpose and she wants to run away from where she is. I listened to her as she told me her issues and concerns and if I'm being honest I feel a lot of the same things she does. I feel like giving up hope just as she told me she does. I have felt like my life was a rich full fucking waster and that what I do is meaningless. But I also realized that most people seem to feel that way. Everybody hurts and that kind of sucks. I prefer to think that it's a select few but the more I talk to others the more I realize that life just kind of sucks all the time and there are random dashes of pleasure sprinkled in between. As wonderful as that all sounds there is a glimmer of hope. Hope that we shouldn't let go of. Hope that we need to cling to but not in the white knuckled kind of way like

Find Your Happy Place. Or, Taking Time For You.

"The Best In The World At What I Do." -CM Punk When 2015 became 2016 I made a resolution just like so many others. It wasn't to lose weight or try to stop smoking. I promised myself that I would try something new every month. Not become a yes man with a yes year but rather take one risk or try something that I had always wanted to do. I started out small. Going for a walk in the evenings for January ( yes I know that's stupid to do in winter). Cooking at home in February. Bought a new guitar in march and said I would practice every night like when I was in college and high school. Honestly most of these things have stuck and it feels good to have a new outlook and new stuff to do in my life. The one that really made me feel different was June. That's when I began to paint.  I put this piece together and I haven't been able to stop since. Painting is something I had wanted to try for the longest time (oh oh oh oh for the longest time) but had never