Skip to main content

Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow. Or, However You Do It Do It Well.

"Your generation has an obligation to stand up and fight, resist those things that you see as wrong in the world. Nobody will
do it for you. Nobody. "
Senator Bernie Sanders 

The other day I was having a conversation with a friend about animal captivity. The person who I was speaking to had mentioned that she wanted to bring her daughter to a marine mammal park and asked if I had ever been before. I said that I had and used to be a huge fan of them but my opinion had changed. She asked me why and I was honest with my opinion on the subject. I went into the various reasons and examples that I have gathered over the years, told some stories and by the time I was done talking it had been like 35 minutes. The thing of it, the person remarked how I seemed so passionate about the topic. She said that you could tell it was important to me by how I spoke about it. And it's true. I feel strongly about it and I am absolutely passionate about being anti-captivity. 

It got me thinking about my life in general. The juxtaposition of feeling trapped by things that I have to talk about and deal with versus the things I want to talk about. I have things that I value: helping others, listening with the intention of listening and not responding, improving my relationships and patience. I have things that I couldn't care less about: material things, popularity, money. Stuck in between is the obligation. I need to care about money because it's what makes it so I can live on my own. It gives me a sort of freedom bred from the obligation. Wrap your head around that one. The issue I run into is balancing. I have a hard time balancing my passions and my obligations. As a result I'm not at all a neurotic mess, I swear. The reality is I need help sometimes. I feel lost and scared and alone sometimes. Am I? Not really. But that's how I feel. I can't always explain it. I'm looking for release. I'm trying to not feel so shitty about myself and what I'm doing. Then I think about the captivity discussion. I think about the passion I have for making it end and want to be that person all the time. Nobody can be. Mother Theresa had bad days when she sat in Calcutta looking at a slum she was serving in and  probably said "what am I doing here? ". I'm sure of it. But that was her way of finding balance. She devoted herself to something and gave all of herself to it. I frankly don't. I try to help people as best I can but I am not fully invested in it. I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure it's my old friend fear of failure that has something to do with it! I'm looking for my Mother Theresa moment. And that's  the problem. I'm looking for it. Anticipating its eventual arrival thereby defeating the purpose and missing the point completely. A life of service and compassion doesn't come without sacrifice. You can't hold the door for the world and get mad when everyone doesn't say thank you. Instead of trying to be that passionate, dedicated person maybe instead just be me. The passion is there; now comes the effort and the bravery. 

There's a movement I recently read about called the semi-colon movement. It's predicated on the idea that a semi-colon is used to continue a sentence that you could have ended but chose to extend and continue. I love this idea. The choice to keep going. It's a great idea. It's easy to throw in the towel and accept your lot in life and say well things suck and they always will because reasons. But it doesn't have to be that way. If enough of us tap into that passion, do something instead of pretending to be doing something, then we can make things better. Is that a corny idea? Absolutely. Does it come easily? Not at all. Is it annoying to answer your own questions? Without a doubt. But it's our obligation to ourselves to do all we can for ourselves. Hopefully that includes doing things for others. We have dreams and wishes and needs and wants. We have stuff we want to accomplish and achieve.  At the end of the line is what we are passionate about. Find that balance between the person you are and the person you want to be. Don't lose yourself in the process of getting there. Focus on what you're doing and not the people who are trying to derail you. Find that passionate person but be proactive in the pursuit. Use alliteration at any given opportunity because people love when there's a flow. There is more than one type of a cage or cell. I'm in one. I want to get out. I just haven't realized that I have the key already. 



But above all, let's agree that keeping a 4,000 pound mammal in a 20,000 gallon tank is cruel even if they look happy in there because guess what, they aren't. Just like some of you might feel trapped by your inability to reach your goal and find your passion and unlock your true freedom. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do or do not there is no try

When I was a kid I thought I was going to be a doctor. Then I watched the movie Look Who's Talking  saw the scene where Kirstie Alley has her baby and that ended that. I was about six and my mind was very easily changed. From that point on I started to make a lot of choices that I questioned. In kindergarten we had a bear that each of us would take for a week and care for. When the week was over we would give him (the bear was male, I peeked between his legs) something to remember us by like a hand colored picture or a leaf from the yard. The school year went by and I never got my chance to take care of the bear. When June approached and I being fully aware that there wasn't a whole week left asked my teacher, a wonderful man who I think of to this day, why I didn't get a chance his answer was simple: because you get to take him for the entire summer Armand. Now, most kids would see this as a huge opportunity and something to be excited about. I get to watch this bear all

Everybody hurts. Or Don't Hideout in Your Hobbit Hole

The other day I had lunch with a friend of mine. She was talking about how she feels like she's treading water and swimming in circles all at the same time. Her life doesn't feel like it has purpose and she wants to run away from where she is. I listened to her as she told me her issues and concerns and if I'm being honest I feel a lot of the same things she does. I feel like giving up hope just as she told me she does. I have felt like my life was a rich full fucking waster and that what I do is meaningless. But I also realized that most people seem to feel that way. Everybody hurts and that kind of sucks. I prefer to think that it's a select few but the more I talk to others the more I realize that life just kind of sucks all the time and there are random dashes of pleasure sprinkled in between. As wonderful as that all sounds there is a glimmer of hope. Hope that we shouldn't let go of. Hope that we need to cling to but not in the white knuckled kind of way like

Find Your Happy Place. Or, Taking Time For You.

"The Best In The World At What I Do." -CM Punk When 2015 became 2016 I made a resolution just like so many others. It wasn't to lose weight or try to stop smoking. I promised myself that I would try something new every month. Not become a yes man with a yes year but rather take one risk or try something that I had always wanted to do. I started out small. Going for a walk in the evenings for January ( yes I know that's stupid to do in winter). Cooking at home in February. Bought a new guitar in march and said I would practice every night like when I was in college and high school. Honestly most of these things have stuck and it feels good to have a new outlook and new stuff to do in my life. The one that really made me feel different was June. That's when I began to paint.  I put this piece together and I haven't been able to stop since. Painting is something I had wanted to try for the longest time (oh oh oh oh for the longest time) but had never